Date(s) - 06/18/2021
10:00 am - 12:00 pm iCal (add to your calendar)
Register Fill out form below to register for this event.
Asset Inventory and Mapping for Small Colorado Water Systems
Friday, June 18th, 2021
10am – 12pm MST
The same training is also offered on Wednesday, June 9th, 2021.
Description: This training begins by covering Asset Management’s core components and the overall Asset Management thought-process, before focusing more specifically on concepts related to the foundation of asset management: the asset inventory. The discussion centers on asset data gathering to develop a robust asset inventory that supports analysis and data-informed decision making.
The training covers types of inventory data that can and should be collected; condition assessment, readily available data collection apps; creating a basic data collection form within an application; avoiding common data collection mistakes; and building data collection into daily system activity.
The training then moves on to the basics of water system mapping. We will discuss using locational data collected for your water system assets to create a map; explore a variety of mapping platforms, including ESRI’s ArcGIS Pro, and free software programs such as QGIS as well as Google Earth to create useful GIS (geographic information system) maps of your water system; and focus on the resources available and how to best utilize collected system data.
- Obtain a solid understanding of what asset management is and how it benefits water systems
- Identify the 5 core components of asset management with an emphasis on robust asset inventory development
- Understand how uniform data collection improves inventory and analysis
- Discuss basic skills to build a digital data collection application
- Discuss techniques, tools, and examples for developing asset inventories and building maps
- Gain a general understanding of the usage of collected data in water system mapping across a variety of GIS platforms such as ESRI’s ArcGIS Pro, QGIS, and Google Earth
- Identify and learn to leverage the GIS technologies available to your system
Presenters: James Markham and Luke Andrews, Research Scientists, Southwest Environmental Finance Center
Who Should Attend:
This workshop is designed for water systems serving 10,000 or fewer people (though systems of any size may attend), especially targeting local government systems. While all attendees are welcome, this workshop is most suited for attendees who have some understanding of the basics of asset management.
CEUs: Asset Inventory and Mapping for Small Water Systems, Course Number 21-07487, has been approved for 0.2 Colorado training units for water and wastewater treatment, water distribution, wastewater collection, wastewater treatment, and industrial wastewater treatment categories.