Date(s) - 03/30/2021
12:00 pm - 2:00 pm iCal (add to your calendar)
Register Fill out form below to register for this event.
Tuesday, March 30, 2021
Register Online Via Zoom
Training Credits: NM Operators and Board Members Approved for 1.5 Training Credits
Description: This workshop will introduce participants to a wide array of financial topics from rates to budgets to financial health metrics. There will also be an opportunity to be introduced to a financial assessment tool created by the SW EFC, available at no cost to you, which can be used to understand your utility’s finances. Topics include:
- Budgets: Why we do them, how we use them
- Chart of Accounts: what is it and what is it for?
- The difference between revenue and income
- The difference between expenditures and expenses
- What are assets and liabilities and how are they recorded?
- Financial Reports (Profit and Loss and Balance Sheet) and how to read them
- User rate structures and how they impact revenue, expenses, and affordability
- Financial Health Indicators (ratios) and what they mean
Presenters: Heather Himmelberger, Director, Southwest Environmental Finance Center & Luke Andrews, Research Scientist, Southwest Environmental Finance Center & Sandra Blanton