Date(s) - 10/30/2017
8:30 am - 4:00 pm iCal (add to your calendar)
Register Fill out form below to register for this event.
Cost: FREE. Space is limited. Please register to reserve your spot.
CEUs: This workshop has been approved for 5.5 contact hours by the South Dakota Board of Operator Certification.
This hybrid workshop will address two of the most pressing concerns facing today’s small water systems; how to manage your workforce, and how to ensure financial stability of your system while setting fair rates.
All water utilities, especially small systems, are struggling to recruit and retain experienced staff. What is going to happen when your system’s long-term operator or manager retires? This workshop will focus on succession planning, operator recruitment and staff retention strategies.
This workshop will also cover aspects of financial planning for water systems; including rates and rate setting, controlling costs, planning for capital expenses, accessing external funding, tracking and benchmarking financial performance, and other Enterprise Fund issues that small water systems face.
You will learn:
• How to analyze the gaps in your current workforce and strategically rebalance for efficiency.
• How to write compelling job descriptions and rebrand your workplace culture so that you will attract qualified applicants to your candidate pool and retain excellent talent long-term.
• Strategies for recruiting and working with Millennials, and succession planning tips to prepare your utility for the Baby Boomer retirement phase.
• How to assess and monitor financial performance.
• How to design appropriate rate structures and set fair rates that cover costs.
Contact: Leslie Kimble, firstname.lastname@example.org
Who Should Attend: This workshop is designed for water systems serving 10,000 or fewer people (though systems of any size may attend), especially targeting local government systems facing financial challenges. Owners of privately owned systems, consultants and technical assistance providers serving water systems are also invited to attend.