Four Ways Water Utilities Can Weather a Hurricane

Written by: Stacey Berahzer Stacey Berahzer is a Senior Project Director at the Environmental Finance Center at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Millions of United States citizens continue to battle the effects of massive hurricanes this month. Many have lost electric and water service. As water and wastewater utilities struggle to get their systems up and running …

Won’t you pay my Bill? | Pathways to Getting Some Customers to Help Pay for the Bills of Others

Written by: Stacey Berahzer Stacey Berahzer is a Senior Project Director at the Environmental Finance Center at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill “Won’t you pay my bill?” is a question that the water utility asks of the customers who do not pay their water, wastewater, and even stormwater bills. But low-income customers are, essentially, asking the same …

Four Factors that Allow One Utility to Provide Financial Assistance to People Who Don’t Even Have a Water Account

Written by: Stacey Isaac Berahzer Stacey Isaac Berahzer is a Senior Project Director with the Environmental Finance Center at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. When setting rates, most water and wastewater utilities are concerned (at least to some extent) about whether their customers can afford the resulting bills. Many utilities are also wondering how they can assist …

Six Keys to Improve your Water Utility’s Credit Rating- A Cheat Sheet

Written by: Stacey Isaac Berahzer Stacey Isaac Berahzer is a Senior Project Director at the Environmental Finance Center at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Water and Wastewater utilities receive “credit ratings” just as a private individual has a FICO® score. While organizations like the Fair Isaac Corporation calculate personal credit scores, for entities like local government utilities, …

Who is Supplying Water in Puerto Rico?

Written by: Stacey Isaac Berahzer Stacey Isaac Berahzer is a Senior Project Director with the Environmental Finance Center at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.  About 96% of the population in Puerto Rico receives water from the Puerto Rico Aqueduct and Sewer Authority (PRASA). But the other 4% of the population is supplied by about 240 very small …

What Does Santa Claus Charge for Water and Wastewater Service?

The call came in on a December morning several years ago. When I saw the caller ID said “Santa Claus” I decided not to answer the phone. My thought was “seriously, what will these telemarketers think of next?!?” Later that morning, I noticed that caller had left voicemail. To my surprise, there was a message about water rates from the Mayor of Santa Claus, Georgia.